This article was published on the Australian Financial Review website on May 28th, 2015. It was written as part of my internship at the Australian Financial Review.
The robots are coming.
Some of the the tech industry’s best-known names – for example, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak and Microsoft’s Bill Gates – believe our jobs will be replaced by machines sooner or later.
Wozniak told The Australian Financial Review earlier this year that “computers are going to take over from humans one day“. And new research backs up the tech guru’s claim.
So who will be replaced first?
If we’ve got you worried, try using NPR’s Planet Money tool to test your job stability.
Here are a few selected jobs and the likelihood they’ll be automated:
- Telemarketers: 99.0 per cent
- Paralegals and Legal Assistants: 94.5 per cent
- Accountants and Auditors: 93.5 per cent
- Taxi Drivers: 89.4 per cent
- Computer Programmers: 48.1 per cent
- Judges: 40.1 per cent
- Actors: 37.4 per cent
- Financial Analysts: 23.3 per cent
- Civil Engineers: 1.9 per cent
- Psychologists: 0.4 per cent
Cover photo source: Munchies